Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ExtraSolar Planets

Default ExtraSolar Planets

from the article:

"astronomers have detected water in the atmosphere of a planet outside our solar system for the first time.

the finding, to be detailed in an upcoming issue of astrophysical journal, confirms previous theories that say water vapor should be present in the atmospheres of nearly all the known extrasolar planets. even hot jupiters, gaseous planets that orbit closer to their stars than mercury to our sun, are thought to have water.

the discovery, announced today, means one of the most crucial elements for life as we know it can exist around planets orbiting other stars."

this is a pretty big deal. there exists water in several planets not only in our solar system, but in another solar system. this means that water must be abundant throughout the universe.

if existent or dead life is discovered on mars or one of these planets, that would mean that life itself, also must be abundant throughout the universe, and, of course, most life being older than earth's, would likely be intelligent.

anyone else continuing to think that it's possible that nasa is going to slowly release data making a stronger case for life, until they finally reveal it?

Default Some Exoplanets May Have Foliage Of Colors Other Than Green

dear friends,

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/so...green_999.html

be well, be love

david

some earth-like worlds may have foliage of colors other than green

by staff writers
    pasadena ca (spx) apr 11, 2007

in the next decade, when scientists are able to study earth-sized worlds around other stars, they may find that foliage on some of the planets is predominantly yellow--or orange, or red. it all depends on the color of the star the planet orbits and the stuff that makes up the planet's atmosphere.
    that's the conclusion of researchers from the virtual planetary laboratory, a nasa-funded initiative at the california institute of technology, who are announcing today results from a series of comprehensive computer models for guiding the future search for plant life on other worlds. two related papers on what to expect out of photosynthesis are being issued in the journal astrobiology.

determining the range of possible colors is important because scientists need to know what to look for when they begin getting spectra of light from faraway earth-sized planets, says lead author nancy kiang, a biometeorologist at nasa's goddard institute for space studies, and currently a visitor at caltech's spitzer science center.

Default First Habitle Earth Like Planet Outside Solar System Discovered

dear friends,

http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/article...sid=27&sid=env

be well, be love.

david

first habitable earth like planet outside solar system discovered

munich, april 24: an international team of astronomers from switzerland, france and portugal have discovered the most earth-like planet outside our solar system to date.

the planet has a radius only 50 percent larger than earth and is very likely to contain liquid water on its surface.

the research team used the european southern observatory’s (eso’s) 3.6-m telescope to discover the super-earth, which has a mass about five times that of the earth and orbits a red dwarf already known to harbour a neptune-mass planet.

astronomers believe there is a strong possibility in the presence of a third planet with a mass about eight times that of the earth in the system.

however, unlike our earth, this planet takes only 13 days to complete one orbit round its star. it is also 14 times closer to its star than the earth is from the sun.

dearfriends,

here's another article with images.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1965

be well, be love.

david

found: the new earth
    by michael hanlon - more by this author » last updated at 22:33pm on 24th april 2007

it's got the same climate as earth, plus water and gravity. a newly discovered planet is the most stunning evidence that life - just like us - might be out there.

above a calm, dark ocean, a huge, bloated red sun rises in the sky - a full ten times the size of our sun as seen from earth. small waves lap at a sandy shore and on the beach, something stirs...

ahh no way i just ran into this as it came out, very cool find indeed! i hope we start to check into it much more in the future.

Red face End of Illusion

david and all: my gut tells me that "discovery" of this habitable planet is the beginning of the end of predominance of the spin doctors version of reality that we are alone in the universe. when my son interrupted my meditation this morning to announce what he heard on the news, i immediately sensed that this was the signal that change is accelerating. the heavens will open big time, soon, and no other person's life will be ruined by efforts to protect the illusion. i am wondering if this "discovery" was not allowed by the confederation of galaxies to begin preparing humans for a more large-scale revealing of intelligent life everywhere beyond earth...preparing us to minimize the potential mass fear factor when ships do land and contact is openly made.

does this sound plausible, or are my thoughts just the musing of a gal who since childhood has looked at the sky with a deep and inexplicable sense of wonder and longing?

jo anne

i think they are well put and had similar conclusions internally myself.

Default Space.com: Discovery of new Extrasolar planets becoming so common, many go unreported

alien worlds, once hidden from knowledge, are now being discovered in droves, stunning astronomers with their unique features and sheer numbers. the discoveries are so common that more and more don't even get reported outside scientific circles.

take the announcement at the end of may of a massive planet, dubbed tres-3, that zips around its star in an amazingly rapid 31 hours, giving the planet a 1.3-day year. astronomers issued a press release, but you might not have heard about it because the discovery was so overshadowed by other planet announcements and barely received news coverage...

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...loodgates.html

Default ExtraSolar Planets

as science gets keener, new extrasolar planets will be listed here

Default HD 113766 May be making a new Planet

a young sun has material circling it that may eventually form into a planet. read more here:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...rth-birth.html

chris